Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Fish Haters Guide to Eating Fish - For Diets & Weight Loss


I'm one of the many people who don't like seafood. There's varying grades of fish haters, from not really enjoying it that much through to being physically repelled by it. I'm in the latter category and until earlier this year, I hadn't touched it for years. I'm the sort of person who feels repulsed even if someone at the same table is eating seafood - especially when it arrives on the plate looking the same as it did when it was alive! I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of tearing the meat out of the shell or eating a fish, head and all, just seems repugnant. Give me a slab of beef any day - at least it doesn't resemble the cow from whence it came!

However, the likes of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall would be appalled and frankly he's right to be! This level of repulsion isn't right and thus I set about trying to overcome my fish phobia. I am proud to say that since January, I have eaten fish almost every week. I can't say I enjoy it, but I persevere because I know it is good for me.

Sometimes I am able to eat the piece of fish on my plate with the minimum of fuss, whilst other times I simply can't chew or swallow it. For instance, I made a smoked haddock risotto once and I only managed one mouthful. Another time I made monkfish tails, and the sight and feel of the spine was revolting. It's really a case of finding a mild, inoffensive fish and disguising the taste by using other tasty ingredients.

So here's my guide to recipes that even the most ardent of fish-phobics can face - so long as you're committed to trying.

1. Baked Fish with Rosemary Potatoes

I got this recipe from a Jamie Oliver book but unfortunately I can't find the recipe on his site. I'll try to remember everything! Thinly slice some potatoes and add to a roasting tin. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary, black olives, salt & pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Mix it up so all the potatoes are evenly covered and cover with foil. Bake at about 180 degrees celsius for 20 mins, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, rub some olive oil into some cod or haddock fillets (not smoked, unless you like strong-tasting fish!) and place on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with more rosemary, olive oil, and pancetta if you like and cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes.

The good thing about this meal is that the fish is mild, so all you have to worry about is the texture. The rosemary, olives and pancetta add a delicious flavour - and the roasted potatoes can be your treat for eating the fish!

2. Char-Grilled Tuna

This dish astounded me because the tuna steak had almost no flavour at all. As such, I was able to eat it without any problems whatsoever and the vinaigrette was lovely on the boiled potatoes and broccoli I had with the fish. You can find the recipe on the Delia Smith website.

3. Super Quick Fish Curry

The combination of the mild fish and the curry-like sauce means that this dish is palatable - again, your only concern is getting to grips with the texture!

4. Spiced Tuna Salad Nicoise

I haven't tried this dish yet, but I will be inspired to do so now I know how mild tuna steaks are. In fact, I think tuna steaks are going to become a staple fish dish for me!

5. Herby Fish Fingers

I've had these fish fingers a couple of times now and it works for me because I can smother them in ketchup! The fish fingers need to be shallow fried so it's not ideal from a weight loss point of view, but I reckon it's ok once in a while, particularly if it means I get the health benefits of fish.








For links to all the recipes above visit our original article at www.watchingusloseweight.com [http://www.watchingusloseweight.com/post/The-Fish-Haters-Guide-to-Eating-Fish.aspx] - The Fish Haters Guide to Eating Fish.

To view our blog about losing weight and how we are trying to do it visit www.watchingusloseweight.com [http://www.watchingusloseweight.com]


No comments:

Post a Comment